The settlement of Lasswade has a long and varied history.
Lasswade is one of the most ancient parishes in Scotland. There is evidence of a church being built in the area as early as 850AD.During the 13th century the Bishop of St Andrews bestowed land and a church to Lasswade and the Church of St Edwin at Lasswade was consecrated in 1240.
The intervening centuries saw many changes to the nature and prosperity of Lasswade. Abundant and varied natural resources enabled Lasswade to flourish and in the 1690s it was reported to have "90 tradesmen including mealmakers, millers, weavers, tailors, wrights, smiths, brewers and merchants". In the 18th and early 19th centuries Lasswade was considered an idyllic rural location for country residences of rich Edinburgh residents wanting to escape "Auld Reekie", including Sir Walter Scott. Later, in the mid-19th and 20th centuries, Lasswade was a hive of industry, including flour milling, carpet manufacture and paper making, all which benefitted from the steep sided valley and fast flowing waters of the North Esk. Now Lasswade is a pleasant rural settlement on the outskirts of Edinburgh.
Readers with interests in the wider history of Lasswade are encouraged to visit the Bonnyrigg and Lasswade local history society web-site https://bonnyrigglasswadelocalhistory.org/ and to consult the publications listed at the bottom of this page.
The initial objectives of the Lasswade District Civic Society history project are: